Saturday, January 19, 2008

At the Edge of the Beast

It's 5:00 a.m. and I'm up! I feel like I've overslept!
Supposed to get snow and temps in the single digits this weekend, hope the greenhouse makes it ok.

Fell asleep last night thinking about the garden, and wondering how we'll be able to grow enough food to feed ourselves in our small space, when the troubles come. When the troubles come.
I wonder sometimes if the troubles aren't already here, and we are somehow blind to them.



This is one of my favorite paintings. Sorry about the glare.
It's called "At the Edge of the Beast"
It shows people walking along the edge of a great beast's mouth, seemingly oblivious to the situation. It could be that they don't see it because it looks familiar to them. It looks like the sky, or earth, or other people, or "The Powers That Be". They just don't realize the danger they are in.
And so it is in the world today.
We move along blithely consuming and ignoring. We ignore the suffering of others, even in our own families, we ignore the destruction of our own habitat, we ignore the dismantling our own country, our own beliefs in right and wrong.
It's horrifying what passes for OK, in our society today. The cruelty to others we laugh at today,
will be visited upon us tomorrow.

Sorry if I waxed a bit preachy, it is after all 5:oo in the morning and I haven't had my coffee yet.

No comments: