Thursday, July 30, 2009

Hello Lisa!

Good morning Lisa, thanks for the comment!
about the soup mixes, here are some to start you off, they are from a post from last year.

Soup in a Jar

There are a lot of bean based mixes, which I like.
In any of these recipes can you substitute you own dehydrated vegetables for veggies called for in the recipe.
What I do sometimes is mix the beans together, then put my vegetables in another separate baggie. I wash the beans, put on stove with just water and bring to a boil, turn off the heat and cover and let sit for about an hour. You can pour off the water and add fresh water if you want to cut down on the gas from eating beans, it really seems to help.
then add your dried vegetables and cook according to the recipe.
Now last year, I made some soup mix that was mostly dried vegetables.
I'd put tomatoes, celery, onion, garlic, corn, okra, green beans and sometimes some dried tomatillos or other odds and ends. These could go in a big baggie or jar, then I mixed together powdered bullion, either chicken or beef, whichever you prever. I add crumbled dried herbs to it. I like basil but you can add other tasty herbs like parsley or oregano, rosemary, thyme. You get the idea.
I put these in their own little baggie as they would be added after the soup ingredients are tender.
You can also add a little bag of pasta too and add it when the boullion powder goes in.
It's really flexible. You can add left over chicken or beef to the soup too.
I have a jar of mixed dried beans that I add to the mixed vegetable sometimes. small beans like little peas or lentils. You don't have to precook and soak them like bigger beans.
I reallllllly like dehydrating.
You get more than twice or three times the food in the same space.
It' lightweight and easy to take on trips or to grab and run in an emergency.
here is a great website run by a very nice lady named Tammy.

dehydrate2store

she really knows about dehydrating and I highly recommend her videos.
She also is so sweet about answering emails.
thanks again Lisa for commenting. Hope that this was helpful and please don't hesitate to ask questions. I'm happy to help!
good luck.

pamela

1 comment:

Redreamer said...

Love that dehydrate2 store link....... thanks Pammy!